Thursday, February 2, 2012

Week 1 Reading: Copyright Issues


Photo from OpenDemocracy at Flickr Creative Commons


So… copyright…wow!!!! I would like to start by saying that even though we were told about copyright when we started this program, it would have been really beneficial and inspiring to hear this stuff at the beginning of the program.

Intro:
I found it very interesting that copyright was an issue when the printing press came out. This makes sense because things could be copied much easier, but I always assumed that it was going to be started with artwork instead. The most interesting idea through this week’s readings is this notion that today’s culture is so media saturated that the rules are much harder to define. It is crazy to me that copyright length is so long since it will outlive the author or even the length of a company. I can see how this would make it much harder to “re-mix” this material. The ten (eleven) myths of copyright were interesting because they were some of the myths that I too believed in. As I have never had anything copyrighted before this program, I had never looked into my rights as an “author” of creative material.

Fair Use:
As a teacher I know that there are plenty of times that I have thought “fair use” as I am doing something in the classroom. As a student I can also think of many times where my teachers showed movie clips or gave us copies of material. Now when I think back on them, I don’t know if they would really be covered by fair use. I absolutely loved the Fair(y) Use Tale. It was a perfect and ironic explanation of copyright issues and fair use. I think that the graphic design teacher at my school could show it in her class as well. I found the notion of private censorship very interesting and I agree that history should not be lost because it is simply “protected” or hidden from the culture and nation that created it. This is where I love the idea of re-mix culture. In fact, some of the most creative masterpieces that my students have come up with involve remixing or reusing modern culture icons and media. As a teacher, I do find it helpful to think of the common notion that Mr. Professor mentioned: “If you can teach without copyrighted material, then it probably does not fall under fair use.”

Solution:
As a Full Sail student I feel as though I have become very aware of copyright laws to the point of being nervous of accidently breaking a law and going to jail… ok maybe not that bad. But Creative Commons has really been a great solution and has adjusted to our lightening fast society that is full of new media every second. It also makes me feel good to give back some of my work as Creative Commons licensed work.  My favorite video of all three sessions was definitely the TED talks video at the end of session three. The best things really are saved for last. The three stories really hit home all of the points that were made and it makes you question how this generation is going to grow and change with copyright laws, remixing and mashups. All I know is that if Glee is allowed to show these mashups, why shouldn’t our students be able to create something just as entertaining on YouTube? As was said in the video, “…they produce for the love and not the money…”



I still have one more question:
What about taking a screen shot or picture of something such as a picture of a dance or a screenshot of Facebook? How does this fall under copyright?

3 comments:

  1. @Jess,
    I am glad that this discussion has been helpful to you. I totally agree that this would be very helpful very early on in the program instead of at the end. We briefly talked about it but nothing this in depth and I think that this should be moved to month 1.

    I agree with you that the mashup culture is really great and a lot of creativity comes out of it. As far as Fair Use goes, it also probably doesn't reduce the commercial viability of the original either, but it is still a battle that most people don't want to fight. As a side note, Glee licenses the songs they perform and there have been a couple very public fights (Foo Fighters being a quite hilarious example) with artists who refuse to let them use their music.

    To answer your question about the screenshots and pictures. A picture of a painting is considered a derivative work (as well as a painting done from a picture) and technically would be a violation of copyright, depending on how it is used. Screenshots tend to be used for teaching or critical commentary so I think they would typically fall under Fair Use but that is just my impression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see that you enjoyed the first lesson. I honestly thought it might be incredibly dry, but in the end really enjoyed watching all the videos.

    One thing you mentioned was something that I have become very concerned about as well. Copyright issues at Full Sail. I suppose that my concern isn't limited to Full Sail but I've definitely become more aware of it here than anywhere else.

    To be honest, I'm kind of glad that they take it seriously. I can remember when I was getting my 3D animation degree one student continually posted images that I knew weren't his. It was very frustrating. I think they finally called him out after one of his images was recognized as something that another instructor had done! Too bad.

    I'm with you on the fair use thing. Hiding a culture or material under any condition is a shame to me. I think that we need to evolve and embrace the digital age rather than trying to clamp down on it so hard that creativity is stifled and fear is embraced as an effective tool of control.

    I also agree with your "mash-up" philosophy. One of the videos talked about "The Grey Album" that came out in 2005-06 i believe. It was a great example of a new creation happening from existing material but not being created for profit. I just don't have an issue with that.

    Here's where I think it's going to go though. The entertainment industry will continue to crack down on the public. Trying to limit the exchange of ideas, music, etc... They will lose more and more money as people turn away from their controlling ways and start going to independent sources for entertainment. The industry will soon realize that technology exists for people to create and produce high quality material (movies and music) and will then start going after hardware and software companies. They will probably say that high end computers or software could get into the hands of terrorists, so high end computer parts can't be sold anymore to the general public. Fear is a great motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent overview and summary of the materials. I do hope that you feel more empowered to approach the problem with greater understanding.

    ReplyDelete