Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week 4 Comment 2: Drew's Blog

Photo from Microsoft Clip Art



Original Post:

The practice that really hit home for me in these last few chapters was “Creating Frameworks of Possibility.”  To me, one of the biggest things that holds each of us back is the assumptions we knowingly or unknowingly make about future decisions.  I feel like we often make choices and decisions based off a certain list of criteria that we are conscious of but we often are unaware that we have also taken other things into consideration.
For example, I can’t tell you how many projects I have dreamed up that have never seen the light of day because I assume that the timing would never work, the funding wouldn’t exist, or that it simply isn’t possible.  Then, a few months later, I see someone doing something similar where clearly all those things actually worked out.  They had the guts to throw out those assumptions and go for it by creating a framework for possibility.
The three steps that are outlined are a pretty good way to get started and I am doing just that now.  A close friend and I are in the process of forming a new production company and I am doing everything I can to rethink most of my assumptions on what a production company is, what they do, and what sort of projects we can take on.  That’s step one.  Step two is to get started and get into it.  We are working on that now, finding projects, talking with people that might be interested in engaging with the project by pulling out their wallet and finding ways to get our media in front of the public.  As we go through all of this, we will be careful to figure out what is helping us and what is hurting us and focus just on what is helping us.  I can’t say these are easy steps, but I think they will help us to create a company that fits us and helps us to choose projects that we are passionate about.


My Response:

Drew,

I like you, found it very interesting how people build these constructs in their head. I think that it is similar to people that have crazy fears of things, it is in their head! I like your outline for your production company. This chapter seemed to come at a perfect time for you to be able to reevaluate your process. It is so hard to think about what we don't realize we are thinking about, but when we take that extra moment to consider it, we find out how ridiculous the restrictions were that we put on ourselves. I hope that your company does well especially since you have taken this time to troubleshoot. 

1 comment:

  1. Drew and Jessica, I totally agree with you. Life is a big scary ride, and you need to think about all the decisions you make along this path. In order to make the correct choices, we need more Drews and Jessicas in this mad world that we live in. I hope to one day gain enough knowledge to make smart desicions like you guyz.

    ReplyDelete