Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 2 Comment 1: Drew's Blog


Photo from Microsoft Clip Art

Original Post:

When I first learned about the EMDT program and the CBR project, I knew that it would eventually culminate in either the submission of a journal article or a presentation at a conference. From the beginning, I was looking forward to doing a journal article because, while I have several published articles with my name as author, I don’t have any published articles as the first author. I thought that this would be a really good chance to finally get a publication as lead author.
 Unfortunately, as my CBR has wrapped up, I had very low turnout and completion rate for both of my phases. So low in fact that it is difficult to draw any conclusions or extrapolate on my data. The data I do have is more qualitative and anecdotal rather than strong quantitative data. Due to this, I am learning more towards doing a presentation instead of a paper.
On the positive side, the CBR project is media intensive to start with and that will come across much better in a presentation than it would in a written article. I also really enjoy giving lectures and am always striving to improve my speaking ability. While I have given several presentations in the last few years, it has been a while since I have presented to a professional audience and I think it will be a great challenge. I have a couple conferences in mind where I would like to present my project, Canopy in the Clouds, and the research I did in my CBR concerning the project. I think it will be a great presentation and I look forward to further exploring the opportunity next week.

My Comment:

I too was aware of the fact that at some point this project would culminate in sharing the data, but unlike you, I had no intention of publishing. If you have read my blog, you know that I don’t like to write. I am always nervous that it might not come across the way that I want it to or that the full impression will not come across. After the finishing the CBR, I am even more convinced that I should be presenting. Like you said, there is so much media that it would be better in presentation form. My CBR was a mixture of email newsletters and videos that my students made. Your Canopy in the Clouds CBR project will make an awesome presentation. I would fly somewhere tropical to see you speak. Maybe Hawaii…

No comments:

Post a Comment