Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 2 Reading: Chapters 1-4


Photo from ZeroOne at Flickr Creative Commons

The beginning of this book starts with the story of the two businessmen who see differently the potential of a shoe company in Africa. I just imagine my students who approach math problems from left and right field. It is crazy to me that we all can interpret or invent things differently. The example of the nine-dot test is perfect. I myself fell into the same imaginary constraint of a box limit. I can only imagine what our students could achieve if we could get them to take away the imaginary constraints.
This notion of the world of measurement is very interesting to me. I know that as a math teacher I definitely look at my world through a very logical and some time ridiculous cut and dry lens. But, as a Christian I believe that looking at everybody through these world and measurement based lenses is wrong. It judges them and in a sense implies that I know them and that there is nothing that can surprise me or change. I clearly know this notion is wrong and therefore the inner battle of balance begins. I love that the author points out that we think that life is all about surviving and getting ahead. I can’t tell you how many times my students have talked like this. They care more about learning tricks to get ahead in life than learning to become more intelligent or well rounded. The Universe of Possibility that the author speaks about is a world without bounds where people are not always competing but achieving great things by thinking outside of the box. Some of my most successful students are the perfect example of this. They are not concerned with popularity, grades, or perfection, just working hard and being creative. Since we can’t control life it really is crazy that people stress themselves out and wear themselves thin to try and control life.
It is interesting that the author brings up grades. I find myself right now a little stressed about grades and then I think about what those grades really mean. I know that I did everything to the best of my ability and that I truly understand the material, so what does the grade tell me that I don’t already know? This is a thought that I would like to translate into my classroom. I am in the process of switching my classroom to a mastery classroom. I think that a lot of my students could receive an “A” if they were truly allowed to hone their skills in my class instead of race to a test every other week. While I like the story of giving every student an A, and I agree that it would be less stressful, I don’t think it would work in all classes. What would be an alternative in a remedial math class? I love that the author mentions that a disengaged student may be the best student but they don’t want to be disappointed. I often find that the “troublemakers” in my classes are usually the ones that are very bored and very intelligent. What strikes me the most is that giving an “A” has more to do with an attitude and mindset with the people around us, then grades in a traditional classroom. I feel as though I can completely relate to Roz when it comes to giving her father an A. I also had to rethink my relationship with a father who was never around and died suddenly before I could have a true relationship with him. After rethinking and reproaching our relationship I was able to see how my husband truly loved me. If think that if I had never done that, I would not be as happily married as I am now. As a perfectionist I can see a lot of barriers that I myself build that restrict my own life and teaching. Imagine what a world where everyone though this way. The true test is giving someone an A even when we don’t like them or they might seem like a jerk.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you've seen ways to bring some of these ideas to your classroom... or maybe you were already in transition and the book caught you in a place of agreement. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good post here Jess. I really like that you look beyond the surface and notice things about what makes your students who they are.

    I had a question about one of your comments in the post though. Did you think that students finding “short-cuts” was a good or bad thing? I had to think about this. Because on the surface, it seems like a student trying to find an alternate way to do something might be easy to dismiss as laziness. But the author talks about how great things can happen when we think outside the box. If the student finds a quicker way to accomplish something, have they done a good or bad thing? If they achieved your goal, was it “bad”? Here’s what I mean:

    Let’s say I tell two students to “get to the top of that mountain”. One student starts climbing, working hard, exercising his body, and after a long day reaches the top. The next student gets in a cab and rides to the top. My reaction to this is going to depend on what the actual goal was. Was it to have the student reach the top, or was my goal to have them grow through effort? If the former, I can’t really be upset with the student.

    Does that make sense? If not, please disregard and erase from your brain any evidence of having read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess,
    As far as a World of Possibilities, I couldn't agree with you more. I too am a Christian and struggled with the notion of seeing a world with worldly boundaries. It can lead to all kinds of problems. When dealing with the idea of how to look at possibilities versus restraint of ideas I like to think of it as a sort of unavailing of truth instead of inventing ideas. I however, had a hard time identifying with the author. We do share some truths, whether we like it or not. I've always a better peace of mind trusting the Book rather than what I can make up. Nice Post! Good Thoughts.

    ReplyDelete